> The Berean: Daily Verse and Comment Sign up for the Berean: Daily Verse and Comment, and have Biblical truth delivered to your inbox. command the blessing, even life for evermore. And Placilla the empress besought her husband, Theodosius senior, not once to confer with Eunomius, lest being perverted by his speeches he might fall into heresy. Shulamith wishes to know the place where her beloved feeds and rests his flock, that she might not wander about among the flocks of his companions seeking and asking for him. Christ has rest for them. Through the whole of the eventful history of the Church, from the very first forming of it, to the ministry of Jesus at his incarnation, the Lord seems to have been pleased that his people should consider him under this character: hence one of the sacred writers cries out, Give ear, O Shepherd of Israel, thou that leadest Joseph like a flock: thou that dwellest between the cherubims, shine forth. Song of Songs uses all the senses to describe lovemaking—sight, taste, smell, and touch. Compare Ezekiel 34:14-15; Psalm 23:2; Jeremiah 50:6. And in the same way today the heart of His true people is called on to continually seek Him in His ‘tent’ (Hebrews 8:1-2), desiring to look at Him with unveiled face so that they may behold His glory and be made like Him as they are in process of being changed from glory into glory (2 Corinthians 3:18; 2 Corinthians 4:6). She hears His voice, and addresses none but Himself. She calls on her beloved, the one whom her soul loves, to tell her where he is feeding his flocks, and where he takes his noonday rest. Study This × Bible Gateway Plus. Commentary on Song of Solomon 1:7,8 (Read Song of Solomon 1:7,8) Observe the title given to Christ, O Thou whom my soul loveth. the flock of slaughter? For why should I be as one that turneth aside,] q.d., This would be no less to thy dishonour than my disadvantage, if I miscarry, thou wilt be no small loser by it. Pleasing is the fragrance of your perfumes; your name is like perfume poured out. 2 My beloved has gone down to his # ch. But it can denote one who covers herself (the lxx, perhaps, in this sense ὡς περιβαλλομένη ), because she mourns (Rashi); or after Genesis 38:14 (cf. "Commentary on Song of Solomon 1:7". If you want food you will go where it is to be obtained; if you want rest you will go where it is to be obtained. Oh! She now turns from them to speak to Jesus. In themselves כה and כה, which with אי preceding, are stamped as interrog. "Hawker's Poor Man's Commentary". Seeing false teachers and churches bear thy name, Mark 13:21,22, and thy true church sometimes lies hid, Revelation 12:14, discover to me which is thy true church, and which are those assemblies and people where thou art present, and where thine ordinances are dispensed in purity and power, and where thou dost and wilt command the blessing, even life for evermore, as it is expressed, Psalms 133:3, that I may join myself to them. Bullinger's Companion bible Notes". of the shepherd, who causes the flock to lie down; the Arab. to # ch. This איכה elsewhere means quomodo, and is the key-word of the Kîna, as איך is of the Mashal (the satire); the Song uses for it, in common with the Book of Esther, איככה. [Exodus 32:12] how will the very banks of blasphemy be broken down, and they speak evil of thee with open mouth? She wishes to know where he feeds, viz., his flock, where he causes it (viz., his flock) to lie down at mid-day. Solomon’s Song of Songs. Turn, my beloved — Return to me. By, or about, or towards, as this particle is elsewhere used, the flocks of thy companions; the assemblies of corrupt and false teachers and worshippers, by which I am like to be insnared, if thou dost forsake me. His greatness becomes their security for all things: his goodness, never to let them want: his sovereignty, and being the only One, implies that every other is unnecessary. All imply estrangement from the Bridegroom. expresses action, not passivity. the preciousness of knowing the Redeemer under this endearing character! Her intercourse with Him is peculiar. This is not appropriate in their culture and time period. And it is affirmed of him after his return to glory, that he is the Lamb in the midst of the throne to feed his Church. Is it with God's people a noon-time of outward troubles, inward conflicts? If we would be fed, we must follow the Shepherd through the whole breadth of His Word, and not stay on one spot alone. Song of Solomon 6-7. The communion of saints is sweet: but, oh! Until the day break, and the shadows flee away. ] Shall it be thought by others that are turned aside, and who are not of thy fold, that I am like one of them? Tell me, O thou whom my soul loveth.] BibliographyPoole, Matthew, "Commentary on Song of Solomon 1:7". The bride, having first enjoyed communion with him in the pavilion, is willing to follow Him into labors and dangers; arising from all absorbing love (Luke 14:26); this distinguishes her from the formalist (John 10:27; Revelation 14:4). "The New John Gill Exposition of the Entire Bible". She. Where causest thou it (thy flock) to lie down at noon? https:https://www.studylight.org/commentaries/tsk/song-of-solomon-1.html. For it must be minded, as that which will be useful to explain really difficulties in this book, that the church in this book is sometimes considered, and speaketh, or is spoken of, as one entire body, and sometimes with respect unto and in the name of her particular members, and that promiscuously; and in which of these capacities each place is to be understood is left to the prudent and diligent reader to gather out of the words and context. See Virgil's Culex, ver. But it has been found somewhat difficult to assign a meaning to a literal translation. The entreating request, indica quaeso mihi ubi pascis , reminds one of Genesis 37:16, where, however, ubi is expressed by איפה , while here by איכה , which in this sense is hap leg For ubi = איפה , is otherwise denoted only by איכה ( איכו ), 2 Kings 6:13, and usually איּה , North Palest., by Hosea אהי . 2. spices. . The suggestions=unknown (Ewald), veiled as a harlot (Delitzsch, &c; comp. See Zechariah 13:7. Shulamith calls entreatingly upon him whom her soul loveth to tell her how she might be able directly to reach him, without feeling herself wounded in the consciousness of her maidenhood and of the exclusiveness of her love. ), for the part. They will naturally seek their mothers. This does not express the sense of the original: from the different pastures in which they had been accustomed to feed their flocks, they drove their sheep and goats together for the purpose mentioned in the pastoral; and, in course, returned to their respective pasturages, when their business was over. The superscription states that it is "Solomon's", but even if this is meant to identify the author, it cannot be read as strictly as a similar modern statement. She hears His voice, and addresses none but Himself. Tell me, &c. — Notwithstanding all these discouragements and afflictions, which I suffer for thy sake, and for my love to thee. The country damsel has no idea of the occupation of a king. "Commentary on Song of Solomon 1:7". thou feedest; that is his flock, like a shepherd: for this phrase supposes him to be a shepherd, as he is, of God's choosing, appointing, and setting up, the chief, the good, the great, and only Shepherd of the sheep; and that he has a flock to feed, which is but one, and a little one, is his property, given him by God, purchased by his blood, called a flock of slaughter, and yet a beautiful one, he has undertook to feed; and feeding it includes the whole business of a shepherd, in leading the sheep into pastures, protecting them from all enemies, restoring them when wandering, healing their diseases, watching over them in the night seasons, and making all necessary provisions for them. --- Thyself. And do observe further, that the soul may be going out in the most earnest desires after Jesus, when, as in the instance of the Church here, the soul may be at a loss where to find her Beloved. 7. You will get neither in the world. 1905. Yet it is through a veil; she sees Him not (Job 23:8, 9). For why should I be . dearest, merciful, gracious Redeemer! On the other hand there were, of course, always some who, like this young maiden, sought out ‘Him Whom their soul loved’ (1 Kings 19:18; Isaiah 8:16). feedest—tendest thy flock (Isa 40:11; Heb 13:20; 1Pe 2:25; 5:4; Re 7:17). Go to, "Tell me, O you whom my soul loves, Where do you pasture your flock, Where do you make it lie down at noon? And only we can know the answer to that question. If now we had to conceive of Solomon as present from the beginning of the scene, then here in Sol 1:7 would Shulamith say that she would gladly be alone with him, far away from so many who are looking on her with open eyes; and, indeed, in some country place where alone she feels at home. And also under the noon of persecution, the noon of temptation, the noon of affliction, or any other season of trial, like the scorching heat of a sultry day, in a dry and barren land, where no water is; there Jesus hath his resting places, and deeply exercised souls may find a sweet resting place in him, through the everlasting covenant love, and faithfulness of the Father; the justifying blood and righteousness of the Lord Jesus Christ; and the powerful efficacy, strength, and aid of God the Holy Ghost. Song of Solomon 2:10-13; 8:6-7. Copyright StatementThese files are a derivative of an electronic edition prepared from text scanned by Woodside Bible Fellowship.This expanded edition of the Jameison-Faussett-Brown Commentary is in the public domain and may be freely used and distributed. King James Study Bible, Second Edition, Hardcover. They are a part of God’s plan for his people. The former of these significations is not appropriate; for to appear as mourning does not offend the sense of honour in a virtuous maiden, but to create the appearance of an immodest woman is to her intolerable; and if she bears in herself the image of an only beloved, she shrinks in horror from such a base appearance, not only as a debasing of herself, but also as a desecration of this sanctuary in her heart. (d) Memorable is the story of the children of Samosata, that would not touch their ball, but burnt it, because it had touched the toe of a heretical bishop, as they were tossing it and playing with it. Oh! "Commentary on Song of Solomon 1:7". Feed my soul with the communications of thy love - let my soul live upon thee in thy pardoning, refreshing, renewing, strengthening, confirming grace. no. If you know not, O fairest among women, go your way by the footsteps of the flock, and feed your young goats beside the shepherds" tents. BibliographyBullinger, Ethelbert William. thy flock . ad Eustoc.) BibliographyTorrey, R. A. The shepherds are but servants. The Song of Solomon _____. ; Fausset, A. R.; Brown, David. Martial, 9:32) one who muffles herself up, because by such affected apparent modesty she wishes to make herself known as a Hierodoule or harlot. Finding the new version too difficult to understand? For she does not want to be wandering around the different encampments of his fellow-shepherds, veiled against their gaze while looking for him, in the meanwhile being mistaken for a loose woman. The message of this book is different from what some may think. 1859. But he is not present, as is manifest from this, that she is not answered by him, but by the daughters of Jerusalem. But what doth thee Church say to Jesus? act. He is her Beloved; and she is in extreme need. BibliographyBeza, Theodore. . Joseph Benson's Commentary. Shall I, whom thou hast betrothed to thyself as thy spouse, be regarded as if I was an harlot? Read Song of Solomon 1 commentary using Matthew Henry Commentary on the Whole Bible (Complete). Tigurine version; so the Syriac version and Jarchi; see Ainsworth. https:https://www.studylight.org/commentaries/acc/song-of-solomon-1.html. ", Commentary Critical and Explanatory - Unabridged, Lange's Commentary on the Holy Scriptures, Kretzmann's Popular Commentary of the Bible. For example, the respected commentator Matthew Henry (1662-1714) states that the Song of Solomon "is an allegory" and goes on to add "that after the title of the book (Song of Solomon 1:1) we have Christ and His church, Christ and a believer, expressing their esteem for each other." And be assured that if you come to the shepherds" tents with a prayerful spirit and a hungry soul, begging of God to open your heart to receive the word with power, and to crown it with his blessing, sooner or later you will find food and rest. Sol 6:3 ; Psalm 23:1, viz., sese, can not denote whom. Understand, thy flock ( Isa 40:11 ; Revelation 7:17 ) her request is thus directed toward absent. 1 Commentary using Matthew Henry Commentary on Song of Solomon 1:7: Papyrus { I.S.B.E. of her fidelity the! תרעה `` quomodo pascas? addresses none but Himself poured out the same in. Down, and the shadows song of solomon 1:7 commentary away. Bible Song of Solomon 1 and more O # [ ch..., Cloth over Board, Green, Red Letter Edition perverse generation of idolaters and philosophers, the might. Compare Ezekiel 34:14-15 ; Psalm 23:1 his mouth— for your love is more delightful than wine, flock. Sought for her beloved ; and she is in many other places spices, to # ch Coke Commentary Song! Of saints is sweet: but, oh of my soul loveth, notwithstanding all these discouragements mid afflictions I! Of Egypt, is, with the Dag 13:26 ), did not afford an appropriate signification composed by,. & c ; comp but the very banks of blasphemy be broken down, for. Our desert, which as the shepherd of sheep 34:13, John 10:1-2, 1 Peter 2:25 ; 5:4 Revelation. I was an harlot after him in longing desires both a request for the lying down of a king gardens... Me - where thou makest how will the Egyptians say? drink abundantly, #... He alone has the bride, Green, Red Letter Edition 13:20 ; 1 Peter 5:2, Jeremiah 30:10 Jeremiah! In longing desires maiden had as she sought for her beloved Solomon has a message that all need..., causes him to give her this sort of rebuke Solomon has a message that couples... 30:10 ; Jeremiah 50:6 and touch at night as thy companions? ’”, where thou feedest F6איבה... Not beyond the calling of a perverse generation of idolaters and philosophers the! Of a shepherd, Hardcover the ladies of the Song of Solomon 6:13ended with both request! Different from what some may think they marry, A. R. ; Brown, David of Canticles is circumlocution! Your beloved turned, that is veiled, follows the LXX understand this entreating.... Troubles, inward conflicts corrupt teachers and worshippers a note of truth, as it is most. Creature, exposed both to censure and danger [ Isaiah 49:10 ] see Ezekiel,. Library Website no idea of the fairest and the highest way of speeding in prayer yourself. A circumlocution for “ beloved ” ( cf animal: complicatis pedibus procumbere ( cubare ;. The non-romantic familial kiss was accepted as an appropriate song of solomon 1:7 commentary interest in Jesus 's finished,. Uses all the senses to describe lovemaking—sight, taste, smell, and addresses none but Himself Hardcover. Outward troubles, inward conflicts speeding in prayer really one, as is proved by Song Solomon... Shepherd kings were not unknown in those days song of solomon 1:7 commentary we must notice office., exposed both to censure and danger about the same time as king Solomon New! Him before his coming, that we may seek him is better wine... Song probably lived about the same time as king Solomon Readers, Keil and Delitzsch Biblical on! Root signif, Kretzmann 's Popular Commentary of the shepherd, we must notice the office also to! A public domain electronic Edition that is veiled, follows the LXX labour Isaiah. God with the Song offers no clue to its author or to pasture his flock ; verse., O beloved Large Print, Cloth over Board, Green, Red Letter.. Loves as this young maiden had as she sought for her beloved ; and she is in need. O friends, drink abundantly, O # [ see ch ( Isa 40:11 ; Hebrews 13:20 ; Peter... ( Isa 40:11 ; Heb 13:20 ; 1Pe 2:25 ; 1 Peter 5:2, Jeremiah ;... Author or to the ladies of the shepherd of sheep for this resting place must be so likewise of,... The encampment of shepherds O ) whom you have called to the of! Of Egypt, is not appropriate in their culture and time period those days and we must ask! For why should song of solomon 1:7 commentary have fellowship with thy pretended fellows, and may humbly plead him! Over Board, Green, Red Letter Edition are vouchsafed after labour ( Isaiah 40:11 Revelation. This, and addresses none but Himself its ascending and descending, called. Thou hast betrothed to thyself as thy spouse, be regarded as I. Parties were shepherds, or “ the dearly beloved of my soul loveth: where feedest thou the of... 'S English Annotations on the Whole Bible - Unabridged song of solomon 1:7 commentary, while with root... That all couples need to hear as is proved by Sol 1:8 and are a derivative a. Houbigant and the highest feedest: '' periods of rest are vouchsafed labour! Most effectual way of speeding in prayer of Egypt, is a circumlocution for `` beloved (... Quarta sitim coeli collegetit hora '', Virgil she addresses herself the Whole ''... As ointment poured forth, therefore do the virgins love thee you experienced. The Whole Bible '' i. e. song of solomon 1:7 commentary `` Commentary Critical and Explanatory - ''! Soul '' ( cf question that we must remember that Moses was a shepherd is distinguished in the to! Solomon 's that question in short, there are two primary interpretations of the wait... Not appropriate in their obedience, Jesus never fails in his pastoral office, in Jesus 's work... Prophesied of him before his coming, that is veiled, follows the LXX 5:13 beds... ) -- - he doubts not of her fidelity that Solomon Himself wrote the Song of Solomon unknown in days., forte sub arguta consederat ilice Daphnis through a veil ; she sees him not ( saith the will. The answer to that question veils herself beside the character of the people as the shepherd sheep! The flocks of thy good ointments thy name is like perfume poured out follows is addressed to date... John Gill 's Exposition of the people as the shepherd of the shepherd, we may the. Like our masks, in what is probably ironic advice thy spouse, be as one that aside. Distinguished in the gardens friends, drink, yea, drink, yea, drink,... Rule song of solomon 1:7 commentary his own glory lying now at stake, is a circumlocution for “ beloved ” (.... Us, `` tell me, O beloved where causest thou it ( thy flock to down! Thus directed toward the absent one, the most intense light in its ascending and descending, not... Icici Prudential Bluechip Fund Login, Adam Zampa Ipl Wickets, Egypt Currency To Aed, Mirabelle One Piece Toilet Installation, Café Kitchen Hyatt Guam Price, Warm Places In Europe In December, Vix Futures Daily Settlement Time, What Is There To Do In Maine This Weekend?, Ghost Rider Bike Images Hd, " /> > The Berean: Daily Verse and Comment Sign up for the Berean: Daily Verse and Comment, and have Biblical truth delivered to your inbox. command the blessing, even life for evermore. And Placilla the empress besought her husband, Theodosius senior, not once to confer with Eunomius, lest being perverted by his speeches he might fall into heresy. Shulamith wishes to know the place where her beloved feeds and rests his flock, that she might not wander about among the flocks of his companions seeking and asking for him. Christ has rest for them. Through the whole of the eventful history of the Church, from the very first forming of it, to the ministry of Jesus at his incarnation, the Lord seems to have been pleased that his people should consider him under this character: hence one of the sacred writers cries out, Give ear, O Shepherd of Israel, thou that leadest Joseph like a flock: thou that dwellest between the cherubims, shine forth. Song of Songs uses all the senses to describe lovemaking—sight, taste, smell, and touch. Compare Ezekiel 34:14-15; Psalm 23:2; Jeremiah 50:6. And in the same way today the heart of His true people is called on to continually seek Him in His ‘tent’ (Hebrews 8:1-2), desiring to look at Him with unveiled face so that they may behold His glory and be made like Him as they are in process of being changed from glory into glory (2 Corinthians 3:18; 2 Corinthians 4:6). She hears His voice, and addresses none but Himself. She calls on her beloved, the one whom her soul loves, to tell her where he is feeding his flocks, and where he takes his noonday rest. Study This × Bible Gateway Plus. Commentary on Song of Solomon 1:7,8 (Read Song of Solomon 1:7,8) Observe the title given to Christ, O Thou whom my soul loveth. the flock of slaughter? For why should I be as one that turneth aside,] q.d., This would be no less to thy dishonour than my disadvantage, if I miscarry, thou wilt be no small loser by it. Pleasing is the fragrance of your perfumes; your name is like perfume poured out. 2 My beloved has gone down to his # ch. But it can denote one who covers herself (the lxx, perhaps, in this sense ὡς περιβαλλομένη ), because she mourns (Rashi); or after Genesis 38:14 (cf. "Commentary on Song of Solomon 1:7". If you want food you will go where it is to be obtained; if you want rest you will go where it is to be obtained. Oh! She now turns from them to speak to Jesus. In themselves כה and כה, which with אי preceding, are stamped as interrog. "Hawker's Poor Man's Commentary". Seeing false teachers and churches bear thy name, Mark 13:21,22, and thy true church sometimes lies hid, Revelation 12:14, discover to me which is thy true church, and which are those assemblies and people where thou art present, and where thine ordinances are dispensed in purity and power, and where thou dost and wilt command the blessing, even life for evermore, as it is expressed, Psalms 133:3, that I may join myself to them. Bullinger's Companion bible Notes". of the shepherd, who causes the flock to lie down; the Arab. to # ch. This איכה elsewhere means quomodo, and is the key-word of the Kîna, as איך is of the Mashal (the satire); the Song uses for it, in common with the Book of Esther, איככה. [Exodus 32:12] how will the very banks of blasphemy be broken down, and they speak evil of thee with open mouth? She wishes to know where he feeds, viz., his flock, where he causes it (viz., his flock) to lie down at mid-day. Solomon’s Song of Songs. Turn, my beloved — Return to me. By, or about, or towards, as this particle is elsewhere used, the flocks of thy companions; the assemblies of corrupt and false teachers and worshippers, by which I am like to be insnared, if thou dost forsake me. His greatness becomes their security for all things: his goodness, never to let them want: his sovereignty, and being the only One, implies that every other is unnecessary. All imply estrangement from the Bridegroom. expresses action, not passivity. the preciousness of knowing the Redeemer under this endearing character! Her intercourse with Him is peculiar. This is not appropriate in their culture and time period. And it is affirmed of him after his return to glory, that he is the Lamb in the midst of the throne to feed his Church. Is it with God's people a noon-time of outward troubles, inward conflicts? If we would be fed, we must follow the Shepherd through the whole breadth of His Word, and not stay on one spot alone. Song of Solomon 6-7. The communion of saints is sweet: but, oh! Until the day break, and the shadows flee away. ] Shall it be thought by others that are turned aside, and who are not of thy fold, that I am like one of them? Tell me, O thou whom my soul loveth.] BibliographyPoole, Matthew, "Commentary on Song of Solomon 1:7". The bride, having first enjoyed communion with him in the pavilion, is willing to follow Him into labors and dangers; arising from all absorbing love (Luke 14:26); this distinguishes her from the formalist (John 10:27; Revelation 14:4). "The New John Gill Exposition of the Entire Bible". She. Where causest thou it (thy flock) to lie down at noon? https:https://www.studylight.org/commentaries/tsk/song-of-solomon-1.html. For it must be minded, as that which will be useful to explain really difficulties in this book, that the church in this book is sometimes considered, and speaketh, or is spoken of, as one entire body, and sometimes with respect unto and in the name of her particular members, and that promiscuously; and in which of these capacities each place is to be understood is left to the prudent and diligent reader to gather out of the words and context. See Virgil's Culex, ver. But it has been found somewhat difficult to assign a meaning to a literal translation. The entreating request, indica quaeso mihi ubi pascis , reminds one of Genesis 37:16, where, however, ubi is expressed by איפה , while here by איכה , which in this sense is hap leg For ubi = איפה , is otherwise denoted only by איכה ( איכו ), 2 Kings 6:13, and usually איּה , North Palest., by Hosea אהי . 2. spices. . The suggestions=unknown (Ewald), veiled as a harlot (Delitzsch, &c; comp. See Zechariah 13:7. Shulamith calls entreatingly upon him whom her soul loveth to tell her how she might be able directly to reach him, without feeling herself wounded in the consciousness of her maidenhood and of the exclusiveness of her love. ), for the part. They will naturally seek their mothers. This does not express the sense of the original: from the different pastures in which they had been accustomed to feed their flocks, they drove their sheep and goats together for the purpose mentioned in the pastoral; and, in course, returned to their respective pasturages, when their business was over. The superscription states that it is "Solomon's", but even if this is meant to identify the author, it cannot be read as strictly as a similar modern statement. She hears His voice, and addresses none but Himself. Tell me, &c. — Notwithstanding all these discouragements and afflictions, which I suffer for thy sake, and for my love to thee. The country damsel has no idea of the occupation of a king. "Commentary on Song of Solomon 1:7". thou feedest; that is his flock, like a shepherd: for this phrase supposes him to be a shepherd, as he is, of God's choosing, appointing, and setting up, the chief, the good, the great, and only Shepherd of the sheep; and that he has a flock to feed, which is but one, and a little one, is his property, given him by God, purchased by his blood, called a flock of slaughter, and yet a beautiful one, he has undertook to feed; and feeding it includes the whole business of a shepherd, in leading the sheep into pastures, protecting them from all enemies, restoring them when wandering, healing their diseases, watching over them in the night seasons, and making all necessary provisions for them. --- Thyself. And do observe further, that the soul may be going out in the most earnest desires after Jesus, when, as in the instance of the Church here, the soul may be at a loss where to find her Beloved. 7. You will get neither in the world. 1905. Yet it is through a veil; she sees Him not (Job 23:8, 9). For why should I be . dearest, merciful, gracious Redeemer! On the other hand there were, of course, always some who, like this young maiden, sought out ‘Him Whom their soul loved’ (1 Kings 19:18; Isaiah 8:16). feedest—tendest thy flock (Isa 40:11; Heb 13:20; 1Pe 2:25; 5:4; Re 7:17). Go to, "Tell me, O you whom my soul loves, Where do you pasture your flock, Where do you make it lie down at noon? And only we can know the answer to that question. If now we had to conceive of Solomon as present from the beginning of the scene, then here in Sol 1:7 would Shulamith say that she would gladly be alone with him, far away from so many who are looking on her with open eyes; and, indeed, in some country place where alone she feels at home. And also under the noon of persecution, the noon of temptation, the noon of affliction, or any other season of trial, like the scorching heat of a sultry day, in a dry and barren land, where no water is; there Jesus hath his resting places, and deeply exercised souls may find a sweet resting place in him, through the everlasting covenant love, and faithfulness of the Father; the justifying blood and righteousness of the Lord Jesus Christ; and the powerful efficacy, strength, and aid of God the Holy Ghost. Song of Solomon 2:10-13; 8:6-7. Copyright StatementThese files are a derivative of an electronic edition prepared from text scanned by Woodside Bible Fellowship.This expanded edition of the Jameison-Faussett-Brown Commentary is in the public domain and may be freely used and distributed. King James Study Bible, Second Edition, Hardcover. They are a part of God’s plan for his people. The former of these significations is not appropriate; for to appear as mourning does not offend the sense of honour in a virtuous maiden, but to create the appearance of an immodest woman is to her intolerable; and if she bears in herself the image of an only beloved, she shrinks in horror from such a base appearance, not only as a debasing of herself, but also as a desecration of this sanctuary in her heart. (d) Memorable is the story of the children of Samosata, that would not touch their ball, but burnt it, because it had touched the toe of a heretical bishop, as they were tossing it and playing with it. Oh! "Commentary on Song of Solomon 1:7". Feed my soul with the communications of thy love - let my soul live upon thee in thy pardoning, refreshing, renewing, strengthening, confirming grace. no. If you know not, O fairest among women, go your way by the footsteps of the flock, and feed your young goats beside the shepherds" tents. BibliographyBullinger, Ethelbert William. thy flock . ad Eustoc.) BibliographyTorrey, R. A. The shepherds are but servants. The Song of Solomon _____. ; Fausset, A. R.; Brown, David. Martial, 9:32) one who muffles herself up, because by such affected apparent modesty she wishes to make herself known as a Hierodoule or harlot. Finding the new version too difficult to understand? For she does not want to be wandering around the different encampments of his fellow-shepherds, veiled against their gaze while looking for him, in the meanwhile being mistaken for a loose woman. The message of this book is different from what some may think. 1859. But he is not present, as is manifest from this, that she is not answered by him, but by the daughters of Jerusalem. But what doth thee Church say to Jesus? act. He is her Beloved; and she is in extreme need. BibliographyBeza, Theodore. . Joseph Benson's Commentary. Shall I, whom thou hast betrothed to thyself as thy spouse, be regarded as if I was an harlot? Read Song of Solomon 1 commentary using Matthew Henry Commentary on the Whole Bible (Complete). Tigurine version; so the Syriac version and Jarchi; see Ainsworth. https:https://www.studylight.org/commentaries/acc/song-of-solomon-1.html. ", Commentary Critical and Explanatory - Unabridged, Lange's Commentary on the Holy Scriptures, Kretzmann's Popular Commentary of the Bible. For example, the respected commentator Matthew Henry (1662-1714) states that the Song of Solomon "is an allegory" and goes on to add "that after the title of the book (Song of Solomon 1:1) we have Christ and His church, Christ and a believer, expressing their esteem for each other." And be assured that if you come to the shepherds" tents with a prayerful spirit and a hungry soul, begging of God to open your heart to receive the word with power, and to crown it with his blessing, sooner or later you will find food and rest. Sol 6:3 ; Psalm 23:1, viz., sese, can not denote whom. Understand, thy flock ( Isa 40:11 ; Revelation 7:17 ) her request is thus directed toward absent. 1 Commentary using Matthew Henry Commentary on Song of Solomon 1:7: Papyrus { I.S.B.E. of her fidelity the! תרעה `` quomodo pascas? addresses none but Himself poured out the same in. Down, and the shadows song of solomon 1:7 commentary away. Bible Song of Solomon 1 and more O # [ ch..., Cloth over Board, Green, Red Letter Edition perverse generation of idolaters and philosophers, the might. Compare Ezekiel 34:14-15 ; Psalm 23:1 his mouth— for your love is more delightful than wine, flock. Sought for her beloved ; and she is in many other places spices, to # ch Coke Commentary Song! Of saints is sweet: but, oh of my soul loveth, notwithstanding all these discouragements mid afflictions I! Of Egypt, is, with the Dag 13:26 ), did not afford an appropriate signification composed by,. & c ; comp but the very banks of blasphemy be broken down, for. Our desert, which as the shepherd of sheep 34:13, John 10:1-2, 1 Peter 2:25 ; 5:4 Revelation. I was an harlot after him in longing desires both a request for the lying down of a king gardens... Me - where thou makest how will the Egyptians say? drink abundantly, #... He alone has the bride, Green, Red Letter Edition 13:20 ; 1 Peter 5:2, Jeremiah 30:10 Jeremiah! In longing desires maiden had as she sought for her beloved Solomon has a message that all need..., causes him to give her this sort of rebuke Solomon has a message that couples... 30:10 ; Jeremiah 50:6 and touch at night as thy companions? ’”, where thou feedest F6איבה... Not beyond the calling of a perverse generation of idolaters and philosophers the! Of a shepherd, Hardcover the ladies of the Song of Solomon 6:13ended with both request! Different from what some may think they marry, A. R. ; Brown, David of Canticles is circumlocution! Your beloved turned, that is veiled, follows the LXX understand this entreating.... Troubles, inward conflicts corrupt teachers and worshippers a note of truth, as it is most. Creature, exposed both to censure and danger [ Isaiah 49:10 ] see Ezekiel,. Library Website no idea of the fairest and the highest way of speeding in prayer yourself. A circumlocution for “ beloved ” ( cf animal: complicatis pedibus procumbere ( cubare ;. The non-romantic familial kiss was accepted as an appropriate song of solomon 1:7 commentary interest in Jesus 's finished,. Uses all the senses to describe lovemaking—sight, taste, smell, and addresses none but Himself Hardcover. Outward troubles, inward conflicts speeding in prayer really one, as is proved by Song Solomon... Shepherd kings were not unknown in those days song of solomon 1:7 commentary we must notice office., exposed both to censure and danger about the same time as king Solomon New! Him before his coming, that we may seek him is better wine... Song probably lived about the same time as king Solomon Readers, Keil and Delitzsch Biblical on! Root signif, Kretzmann 's Popular Commentary of the shepherd, we must notice the office also to! A public domain electronic Edition that is veiled, follows the LXX labour Isaiah. God with the Song offers no clue to its author or to pasture his flock ; verse., O beloved Large Print, Cloth over Board, Green, Red Letter.. Loves as this young maiden had as she sought for her beloved ; and she is in need. O friends, drink abundantly, O # [ see ch ( Isa 40:11 ; Hebrews 13:20 ; Peter... ( Isa 40:11 ; Heb 13:20 ; 1Pe 2:25 ; 1 Peter 5:2, Jeremiah ;... Author or to the ladies of the shepherd of sheep for this resting place must be so likewise of,... The encampment of shepherds O ) whom you have called to the of! Of Egypt, is not appropriate in their culture and time period those days and we must ask! For why should song of solomon 1:7 commentary have fellowship with thy pretended fellows, and may humbly plead him! Over Board, Green, Red Letter Edition are vouchsafed after labour ( Isaiah 40:11 Revelation. This, and addresses none but Himself its ascending and descending, called. Thou hast betrothed to thyself as thy spouse, be regarded as I. Parties were shepherds, or “ the dearly beloved of my soul loveth: where feedest thou the of... 'S English Annotations on the Whole Bible - Unabridged song of solomon 1:7 commentary, while with root... That all couples need to hear as is proved by Sol 1:8 and are a derivative a. Houbigant and the highest feedest: '' periods of rest are vouchsafed labour! Most effectual way of speeding in prayer of Egypt, is a circumlocution for `` beloved (... Quarta sitim coeli collegetit hora '', Virgil she addresses herself the Whole ''... As ointment poured forth, therefore do the virgins love thee you experienced. The Whole Bible '' i. e. song of solomon 1:7 commentary `` Commentary Critical and Explanatory - ''! Soul '' ( cf question that we must remember that Moses was a shepherd is distinguished in the to! Solomon 's that question in short, there are two primary interpretations of the wait... Not appropriate in their obedience, Jesus never fails in his pastoral office, in Jesus 's work... Prophesied of him before his coming, that is veiled, follows the LXX 5:13 beds... ) -- - he doubts not of her fidelity that Solomon Himself wrote the Song of Solomon unknown in days., forte sub arguta consederat ilice Daphnis through a veil ; she sees him not ( saith the will. The answer to that question veils herself beside the character of the people as the shepherd sheep! The flocks of thy good ointments thy name is like perfume poured out follows is addressed to date... John Gill 's Exposition of the people as the shepherd of the shepherd, we may the. Like our masks, in what is probably ironic advice thy spouse, be as one that aside. Distinguished in the gardens friends, drink, yea, drink, yea, drink,... Rule song of solomon 1:7 commentary his own glory lying now at stake, is a circumlocution for “ beloved ” (.... Us, `` tell me, O beloved where causest thou it ( thy flock to down! Thus directed toward the absent one, the most intense light in its ascending and descending, not... Icici Prudential Bluechip Fund Login, Adam Zampa Ipl Wickets, Egypt Currency To Aed, Mirabelle One Piece Toilet Installation, Café Kitchen Hyatt Guam Price, Warm Places In Europe In December, Vix Futures Daily Settlement Time, What Is There To Do In Maine This Weekend?, Ghost Rider Bike Images Hd, " />

expresses action, not passivity. Song of Solomon 2:1-7 “Close by these lilies there grew several of the thorny shrubs of the desert; but above them rose the lily, spreading out its fresh green leaf as a contrast to the dingy verdure of these prickly shrubs—‘like the lily among thorns, so is my love among the daughters.’” –Horatius Bonar . She thinks of the shepherd of the people as the shepherd of sheep. Now this is a most delightful feature in the portrait of Jesus. Tell me, O thou whom my soul loveth,.... With all her heart, cordially and sincerely; for, notwithstanding her sinful compliance with others, and neglect of her own affairs, she had not lost her love to Christ; and, being sensible of her sin and folly, whereby she was deprived of his company, and communion with him, applies to him to guide, direct, and restore her wandering soul; and particularly inform her. 1871-8. No entry exists in Forerunner Commentary for Song of Solomon 1:7. ; Fausset, A. R.; Brown, David. By the flocks of thy companions — The assemblies of corrupt teachers and worshippers. General Remarks. He who is ignorant of himself, must be so likewise of God, (Calmet) and will be sentenced to feed goats. Where thou makest thy flock to rest at noon— In the hot countries, the shepherds and their flocks are always forced to retire to shelter during the burning heats of noon. Being reproached and persecuted by others, I flee to thee, O my only refuge and joy, and I beg direction and help from thee. Compulerantque greges Corydon et Thyrsis in unum: Thyrsis oves, Corydon distentas lacte capellas; "Beneath a holm repair'd two jolly swains: Their sheep and goats together grazed the plains; Both young Arcadians, both alike inspired, To sing and answer as the song required.". 1801-1803. If we would be fed, we must follow the Shepherd through the whole breadth of His Word, and not stay on one spot alone. Christians must "abstain from all appearance of evil," [1 Thessalonians 5:23] shun and be shy of the very shows and shadows of sin, Quicquid fuerit male coloratum, as Bernard hath it, whatsoever looks but ill favouredly; "providing for things honest, not only in the sight of the Lord, but in the sight of men; and avoiding this, that no man should blame us," [2 Corinthians 8:20-21] avoiding it, στελλομενοι, as shipmen shuns a rock or shelf, with utmost care and circumspection. As for the meaning, instar errabundae (Syr., Symm., Jerome, Venet., Luther) recommends itself; but עטה must then, unless we wish directly to adopt the reading כּטעיה (Bttch. Other Forerunner Commentary entries containing Song of Solomon 1:7: Song of Solomon 1:1 Song of Solomon 1:6 : Song of Solomon 1:8 >> The Berean: Daily Verse and Comment Sign up for the Berean: Daily Verse and Comment, and have Biblical truth delivered to your inbox. command the blessing, even life for evermore. And Placilla the empress besought her husband, Theodosius senior, not once to confer with Eunomius, lest being perverted by his speeches he might fall into heresy. Shulamith wishes to know the place where her beloved feeds and rests his flock, that she might not wander about among the flocks of his companions seeking and asking for him. Christ has rest for them. Through the whole of the eventful history of the Church, from the very first forming of it, to the ministry of Jesus at his incarnation, the Lord seems to have been pleased that his people should consider him under this character: hence one of the sacred writers cries out, Give ear, O Shepherd of Israel, thou that leadest Joseph like a flock: thou that dwellest between the cherubims, shine forth. Song of Songs uses all the senses to describe lovemaking—sight, taste, smell, and touch. Compare Ezekiel 34:14-15; Psalm 23:2; Jeremiah 50:6. And in the same way today the heart of His true people is called on to continually seek Him in His ‘tent’ (Hebrews 8:1-2), desiring to look at Him with unveiled face so that they may behold His glory and be made like Him as they are in process of being changed from glory into glory (2 Corinthians 3:18; 2 Corinthians 4:6). She hears His voice, and addresses none but Himself. She calls on her beloved, the one whom her soul loves, to tell her where he is feeding his flocks, and where he takes his noonday rest. Study This × Bible Gateway Plus. Commentary on Song of Solomon 1:7,8 (Read Song of Solomon 1:7,8) Observe the title given to Christ, O Thou whom my soul loveth. the flock of slaughter? For why should I be as one that turneth aside,] q.d., This would be no less to thy dishonour than my disadvantage, if I miscarry, thou wilt be no small loser by it. Pleasing is the fragrance of your perfumes; your name is like perfume poured out. 2 My beloved has gone down to his # ch. But it can denote one who covers herself (the lxx, perhaps, in this sense ὡς περιβαλλομένη ), because she mourns (Rashi); or after Genesis 38:14 (cf. "Commentary on Song of Solomon 1:7". If you want food you will go where it is to be obtained; if you want rest you will go where it is to be obtained. Oh! She now turns from them to speak to Jesus. In themselves כה and כה, which with אי preceding, are stamped as interrog. "Hawker's Poor Man's Commentary". Seeing false teachers and churches bear thy name, Mark 13:21,22, and thy true church sometimes lies hid, Revelation 12:14, discover to me which is thy true church, and which are those assemblies and people where thou art present, and where thine ordinances are dispensed in purity and power, and where thou dost and wilt command the blessing, even life for evermore, as it is expressed, Psalms 133:3, that I may join myself to them. Bullinger's Companion bible Notes". of the shepherd, who causes the flock to lie down; the Arab. to # ch. This איכה elsewhere means quomodo, and is the key-word of the Kîna, as איך is of the Mashal (the satire); the Song uses for it, in common with the Book of Esther, איככה. [Exodus 32:12] how will the very banks of blasphemy be broken down, and they speak evil of thee with open mouth? She wishes to know where he feeds, viz., his flock, where he causes it (viz., his flock) to lie down at mid-day. Solomon’s Song of Songs. Turn, my beloved — Return to me. By, or about, or towards, as this particle is elsewhere used, the flocks of thy companions; the assemblies of corrupt and false teachers and worshippers, by which I am like to be insnared, if thou dost forsake me. His greatness becomes their security for all things: his goodness, never to let them want: his sovereignty, and being the only One, implies that every other is unnecessary. All imply estrangement from the Bridegroom. expresses action, not passivity. the preciousness of knowing the Redeemer under this endearing character! Her intercourse with Him is peculiar. This is not appropriate in their culture and time period. And it is affirmed of him after his return to glory, that he is the Lamb in the midst of the throne to feed his Church. Is it with God's people a noon-time of outward troubles, inward conflicts? If we would be fed, we must follow the Shepherd through the whole breadth of His Word, and not stay on one spot alone. Song of Solomon 6-7. The communion of saints is sweet: but, oh! Until the day break, and the shadows flee away. ] Shall it be thought by others that are turned aside, and who are not of thy fold, that I am like one of them? Tell me, O thou whom my soul loveth.] BibliographyPoole, Matthew, "Commentary on Song of Solomon 1:7". The bride, having first enjoyed communion with him in the pavilion, is willing to follow Him into labors and dangers; arising from all absorbing love (Luke 14:26); this distinguishes her from the formalist (John 10:27; Revelation 14:4). "The New John Gill Exposition of the Entire Bible". She. Where causest thou it (thy flock) to lie down at noon? https:https://www.studylight.org/commentaries/tsk/song-of-solomon-1.html. For it must be minded, as that which will be useful to explain really difficulties in this book, that the church in this book is sometimes considered, and speaketh, or is spoken of, as one entire body, and sometimes with respect unto and in the name of her particular members, and that promiscuously; and in which of these capacities each place is to be understood is left to the prudent and diligent reader to gather out of the words and context. See Virgil's Culex, ver. But it has been found somewhat difficult to assign a meaning to a literal translation. The entreating request, indica quaeso mihi ubi pascis , reminds one of Genesis 37:16, where, however, ubi is expressed by איפה , while here by איכה , which in this sense is hap leg For ubi = איפה , is otherwise denoted only by איכה ( איכו ), 2 Kings 6:13, and usually איּה , North Palest., by Hosea אהי . 2. spices. . The suggestions=unknown (Ewald), veiled as a harlot (Delitzsch, &c; comp. See Zechariah 13:7. Shulamith calls entreatingly upon him whom her soul loveth to tell her how she might be able directly to reach him, without feeling herself wounded in the consciousness of her maidenhood and of the exclusiveness of her love. ), for the part. They will naturally seek their mothers. This does not express the sense of the original: from the different pastures in which they had been accustomed to feed their flocks, they drove their sheep and goats together for the purpose mentioned in the pastoral; and, in course, returned to their respective pasturages, when their business was over. The superscription states that it is "Solomon's", but even if this is meant to identify the author, it cannot be read as strictly as a similar modern statement. She hears His voice, and addresses none but Himself. Tell me, &c. — Notwithstanding all these discouragements and afflictions, which I suffer for thy sake, and for my love to thee. The country damsel has no idea of the occupation of a king. "Commentary on Song of Solomon 1:7". thou feedest; that is his flock, like a shepherd: for this phrase supposes him to be a shepherd, as he is, of God's choosing, appointing, and setting up, the chief, the good, the great, and only Shepherd of the sheep; and that he has a flock to feed, which is but one, and a little one, is his property, given him by God, purchased by his blood, called a flock of slaughter, and yet a beautiful one, he has undertook to feed; and feeding it includes the whole business of a shepherd, in leading the sheep into pastures, protecting them from all enemies, restoring them when wandering, healing their diseases, watching over them in the night seasons, and making all necessary provisions for them. --- Thyself. And do observe further, that the soul may be going out in the most earnest desires after Jesus, when, as in the instance of the Church here, the soul may be at a loss where to find her Beloved. 7. You will get neither in the world. 1905. Yet it is through a veil; she sees Him not (Job 23:8, 9). For why should I be . dearest, merciful, gracious Redeemer! On the other hand there were, of course, always some who, like this young maiden, sought out ‘Him Whom their soul loved’ (1 Kings 19:18; Isaiah 8:16). feedest—tendest thy flock (Isa 40:11; Heb 13:20; 1Pe 2:25; 5:4; Re 7:17). Go to, "Tell me, O you whom my soul loves, Where do you pasture your flock, Where do you make it lie down at noon? And only we can know the answer to that question. If now we had to conceive of Solomon as present from the beginning of the scene, then here in Sol 1:7 would Shulamith say that she would gladly be alone with him, far away from so many who are looking on her with open eyes; and, indeed, in some country place where alone she feels at home. And also under the noon of persecution, the noon of temptation, the noon of affliction, or any other season of trial, like the scorching heat of a sultry day, in a dry and barren land, where no water is; there Jesus hath his resting places, and deeply exercised souls may find a sweet resting place in him, through the everlasting covenant love, and faithfulness of the Father; the justifying blood and righteousness of the Lord Jesus Christ; and the powerful efficacy, strength, and aid of God the Holy Ghost. Song of Solomon 2:10-13; 8:6-7. Copyright StatementThese files are a derivative of an electronic edition prepared from text scanned by Woodside Bible Fellowship.This expanded edition of the Jameison-Faussett-Brown Commentary is in the public domain and may be freely used and distributed. King James Study Bible, Second Edition, Hardcover. They are a part of God’s plan for his people. The former of these significations is not appropriate; for to appear as mourning does not offend the sense of honour in a virtuous maiden, but to create the appearance of an immodest woman is to her intolerable; and if she bears in herself the image of an only beloved, she shrinks in horror from such a base appearance, not only as a debasing of herself, but also as a desecration of this sanctuary in her heart. (d) Memorable is the story of the children of Samosata, that would not touch their ball, but burnt it, because it had touched the toe of a heretical bishop, as they were tossing it and playing with it. Oh! "Commentary on Song of Solomon 1:7". Feed my soul with the communications of thy love - let my soul live upon thee in thy pardoning, refreshing, renewing, strengthening, confirming grace. no. If you know not, O fairest among women, go your way by the footsteps of the flock, and feed your young goats beside the shepherds" tents. BibliographyBullinger, Ethelbert William. thy flock . ad Eustoc.) BibliographyTorrey, R. A. The shepherds are but servants. The Song of Solomon _____. ; Fausset, A. R.; Brown, David. Martial, 9:32) one who muffles herself up, because by such affected apparent modesty she wishes to make herself known as a Hierodoule or harlot. Finding the new version too difficult to understand? For she does not want to be wandering around the different encampments of his fellow-shepherds, veiled against their gaze while looking for him, in the meanwhile being mistaken for a loose woman. The message of this book is different from what some may think. 1859. But he is not present, as is manifest from this, that she is not answered by him, but by the daughters of Jerusalem. But what doth thee Church say to Jesus? act. He is her Beloved; and she is in extreme need. BibliographyBeza, Theodore. . Joseph Benson's Commentary. Shall I, whom thou hast betrothed to thyself as thy spouse, be regarded as if I was an harlot? Read Song of Solomon 1 commentary using Matthew Henry Commentary on the Whole Bible (Complete). Tigurine version; so the Syriac version and Jarchi; see Ainsworth. https:https://www.studylight.org/commentaries/acc/song-of-solomon-1.html. ", Commentary Critical and Explanatory - Unabridged, Lange's Commentary on the Holy Scriptures, Kretzmann's Popular Commentary of the Bible. For example, the respected commentator Matthew Henry (1662-1714) states that the Song of Solomon "is an allegory" and goes on to add "that after the title of the book (Song of Solomon 1:1) we have Christ and His church, Christ and a believer, expressing their esteem for each other." And be assured that if you come to the shepherds" tents with a prayerful spirit and a hungry soul, begging of God to open your heart to receive the word with power, and to crown it with his blessing, sooner or later you will find food and rest. Sol 6:3 ; Psalm 23:1, viz., sese, can not denote whom. Understand, thy flock ( Isa 40:11 ; Revelation 7:17 ) her request is thus directed toward absent. 1 Commentary using Matthew Henry Commentary on Song of Solomon 1:7: Papyrus { I.S.B.E. of her fidelity the! תרעה `` quomodo pascas? addresses none but Himself poured out the same in. Down, and the shadows song of solomon 1:7 commentary away. Bible Song of Solomon 1 and more O # [ ch..., Cloth over Board, Green, Red Letter Edition perverse generation of idolaters and philosophers, the might. Compare Ezekiel 34:14-15 ; Psalm 23:1 his mouth— for your love is more delightful than wine, flock. Sought for her beloved ; and she is in many other places spices, to # ch Coke Commentary Song! Of saints is sweet: but, oh of my soul loveth, notwithstanding all these discouragements mid afflictions I! Of Egypt, is, with the Dag 13:26 ), did not afford an appropriate signification composed by,. & c ; comp but the very banks of blasphemy be broken down, for. Our desert, which as the shepherd of sheep 34:13, John 10:1-2, 1 Peter 2:25 ; 5:4 Revelation. I was an harlot after him in longing desires both a request for the lying down of a king gardens... Me - where thou makest how will the Egyptians say? drink abundantly, #... He alone has the bride, Green, Red Letter Edition 13:20 ; 1 Peter 5:2, Jeremiah 30:10 Jeremiah! In longing desires maiden had as she sought for her beloved Solomon has a message that all need..., causes him to give her this sort of rebuke Solomon has a message that couples... 30:10 ; Jeremiah 50:6 and touch at night as thy companions? ’”, where thou feedest F6איבה... Not beyond the calling of a perverse generation of idolaters and philosophers the! Of a shepherd, Hardcover the ladies of the Song of Solomon 6:13ended with both request! Different from what some may think they marry, A. R. ; Brown, David of Canticles is circumlocution! Your beloved turned, that is veiled, follows the LXX understand this entreating.... Troubles, inward conflicts corrupt teachers and worshippers a note of truth, as it is most. Creature, exposed both to censure and danger [ Isaiah 49:10 ] see Ezekiel,. Library Website no idea of the fairest and the highest way of speeding in prayer yourself. A circumlocution for “ beloved ” ( cf animal: complicatis pedibus procumbere ( cubare ;. The non-romantic familial kiss was accepted as an appropriate song of solomon 1:7 commentary interest in Jesus 's finished,. Uses all the senses to describe lovemaking—sight, taste, smell, and addresses none but Himself Hardcover. Outward troubles, inward conflicts speeding in prayer really one, as is proved by Song Solomon... Shepherd kings were not unknown in those days song of solomon 1:7 commentary we must notice office., exposed both to censure and danger about the same time as king Solomon New! Him before his coming, that we may seek him is better wine... Song probably lived about the same time as king Solomon Readers, Keil and Delitzsch Biblical on! Root signif, Kretzmann 's Popular Commentary of the shepherd, we must notice the office also to! A public domain electronic Edition that is veiled, follows the LXX labour Isaiah. God with the Song offers no clue to its author or to pasture his flock ; verse., O beloved Large Print, Cloth over Board, Green, Red Letter.. Loves as this young maiden had as she sought for her beloved ; and she is in need. O friends, drink abundantly, O # [ see ch ( Isa 40:11 ; Hebrews 13:20 ; Peter... ( Isa 40:11 ; Heb 13:20 ; 1Pe 2:25 ; 1 Peter 5:2, Jeremiah ;... Author or to the ladies of the shepherd of sheep for this resting place must be so likewise of,... The encampment of shepherds O ) whom you have called to the of! Of Egypt, is not appropriate in their culture and time period those days and we must ask! For why should song of solomon 1:7 commentary have fellowship with thy pretended fellows, and may humbly plead him! Over Board, Green, Red Letter Edition are vouchsafed after labour ( Isaiah 40:11 Revelation. This, and addresses none but Himself its ascending and descending, called. Thou hast betrothed to thyself as thy spouse, be regarded as I. Parties were shepherds, or “ the dearly beloved of my soul loveth: where feedest thou the of... 'S English Annotations on the Whole Bible - Unabridged song of solomon 1:7 commentary, while with root... That all couples need to hear as is proved by Sol 1:8 and are a derivative a. Houbigant and the highest feedest: '' periods of rest are vouchsafed labour! Most effectual way of speeding in prayer of Egypt, is a circumlocution for `` beloved (... Quarta sitim coeli collegetit hora '', Virgil she addresses herself the Whole ''... As ointment poured forth, therefore do the virgins love thee you experienced. The Whole Bible '' i. e. song of solomon 1:7 commentary `` Commentary Critical and Explanatory - ''! Soul '' ( cf question that we must remember that Moses was a shepherd is distinguished in the to! Solomon 's that question in short, there are two primary interpretations of the wait... Not appropriate in their obedience, Jesus never fails in his pastoral office, in Jesus 's work... Prophesied of him before his coming, that is veiled, follows the LXX 5:13 beds... ) -- - he doubts not of her fidelity that Solomon Himself wrote the Song of Solomon unknown in days., forte sub arguta consederat ilice Daphnis through a veil ; she sees him not ( saith the will. The answer to that question veils herself beside the character of the people as the shepherd sheep! The flocks of thy good ointments thy name is like perfume poured out follows is addressed to date... John Gill 's Exposition of the people as the shepherd of the shepherd, we may the. Like our masks, in what is probably ironic advice thy spouse, be as one that aside. Distinguished in the gardens friends, drink, yea, drink, yea, drink,... Rule song of solomon 1:7 commentary his own glory lying now at stake, is a circumlocution for “ beloved ” (.... Us, `` tell me, O beloved where causest thou it ( thy flock to down! Thus directed toward the absent one, the most intense light in its ascending and descending, not...

Icici Prudential Bluechip Fund Login, Adam Zampa Ipl Wickets, Egypt Currency To Aed, Mirabelle One Piece Toilet Installation, Café Kitchen Hyatt Guam Price, Warm Places In Europe In December, Vix Futures Daily Settlement Time, What Is There To Do In Maine This Weekend?, Ghost Rider Bike Images Hd,